Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Leftovers

I have a lot of friends that are gourmet chefs.  While perhaps not classically trained in the art of cooking, as I watch them meander through their kitchens preparing delicacies from around the world, I realize how much of a foreigner I am in my own kitchen.  I tend to stick to the easy-to-prepare, no-fuss recipes.  My go-to recipes tend to include chili, meatloaf, pot roast, enchiladas, grilled chicken, salmon, and spaghetti. My husband is the king of leftovers and so I rarely have to eat this after-thought of my preparations.  I don't like leftovers.

However, as I begin this new challenge of not spending money on groceries and simply using what I already have, I found that I have a ton of leftovers in my fridge and freezer.  While, in a typical month, I would probably just toss these if my DH hadn't eaten them in a week, I feel like I need to also partake in this cleansing so that I can truly fulfill the goal of my challenge of not wasting food.

Therefore, on the first two days of my challenge, I ate leftovers...Yesterday, I finished off the chicken enchilada dip that I made for a friend's baby shower over the weekend.  Today, I used the leftover potato fries I made for my Sweet Pea - which she refuses to eat unless they're mashed - into a potato quesadilla for lunch (also using the sour cream that I had purchased and not used all of to prepare the chicken enchilada dip).  I also finished off the leftover Panda Express my DH left in the fridge.  Amazingly enough, it wasn't horrible!

Granted, my healthy eating habits need significant improvement, but we'll start where we must in order to fulfill the challenge of eating frugally and without waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment