Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

I See - I Need

Let's face it; I'm not really made to be frugal.  However, in today's society, frugality can be a necessity.  So, I try.  I have saved money using cloth diapers, making my own baby food and home-cooked meals without going to the grocery store; I gave up clothes shopping for Lent (probably my greatest Lenten sacrifice to date)...I'm making a real effort at not spending money.

The difficult thing is that I have wants.  They're not needs.  They're not, "I can't survive without it" or "That will make work so much easier."  No, they are wants...I want what others around me have.  I want the nicer car, the exotic travel, the ease of life that seems to come if I just get that newer gadget...you get the idea.  These are all a part of the "I see - I need" syndrome which I have to resist on an hourly basis.

It's not easy to resist these urges.  I am the person that marketing departments are trying to get when they put items in the checkout lane or sale signs on windows.  I am the person you invite to your at-home candle/basket/housewares/food party.  These things call out to me.  I can feel that inner desire to go in, find any item, and buy it.  But, I'm not made of money; therefore, I must resist.

So, how do I do it?  Well, it's one minute at a time - sometimes even one second at a time.  I try to stay away from areas where I'll spend money.  But, you can't do this forever.  I would have to stay locked away to truly avoid spending money. 

I am not perfect.  I stumble weekly.  Then, I pick myself up and start again.  I'm making progress.  I have set goals of things that I would like to have in my life.   I've planned my dream vacation to Europe.  I've priced it.  Now, I'm saving for it.  It may never come.  With each stumble I have, I fall further away from it.  But, with each purchase I avoid, I get closer to it...eventually my avoidance will bring me closer to my goal.  Until I reach it, I'll try to continue resisting - one second at a time.

How do you resist the "I see - I need" urge? 

1 comment:

  1. I think the key is to remove yourself from the marketing conversation until you have already identified a "need." Take yourself off of your favorite stores' mailing lists, don't subscribe to "deal site" notifications, skip the ads in media you watch by using a DVR, etc. Wait until you know you need something and then do your research to find the deals. Don't let the "deals" come to you.

    ReplyDelete