Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to

Ever since becoming a mom, I've realized just how great it is to be a child - especially a baby.  Think about it...you have someone else taking care of your every waking need.  You're fed, changed, warmed, loved, burped...it's one gigantic party!  Well, since it is Baby's party, I guess that explains why sometimes she just wants to cry.  This week has been no exception!

We've had a busy week. Not only was it time to get more shots, but we're also getting ready for more family to visit, a possible move, trying to finish up end of the fiscal year work, and started eating solid foods.  All of these things have truly affected Baby's sleep schedule and Momma's sanity.


We've also learned a new thing this week...Mom is going to have to let Baby cry a little longer sometimes!  Now, I am probably not going to be the mom that does the whole Ferber method.  Fifteen minutes is about as long as I can go before I'm in tears too.  But, I did come to realize that Baby has learned the art of cause and effect: if I cry, Mommy will come get me.  She knows that this is especially true at 10am, 5pm, and especially 2am.

It's difficult to change parenting styles as you go.  We started out as a newborn tending to every cry - just trying to figure out what was wrong.  We learned those cries, but now that she's older, those cries have changed.  She's learned that she can get what she wants (which is often just a little more playtime or not to take a nap) by crying.

While I don't yet have an answer to what to do, my husband and I are trying out a lot of different methods.  We actually attempted the Ferber (cry-it-out) method, but after two hours of on-again-off-again crying, Mommy needed it to stop or she would have gone crazy (Baby is very persistent - or strong-willed - and immediately smiled as soon as Mommy picked her up!).  I have also taken all dairy out of my diet in the hopes that will relieve any digestion problems potentially associated with Baby's fussiness.

If you've gone through similar experiences, let me know what you did!  If you're going through this experience now - or in the future - rest assured (no matter that the rest is limited) that you're not alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment